Suitcase and World: Will I ever leave home?

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Will I ever leave home?

I left the office at noon today and got home around 1pm.

At about 3pm, I got an email, on my office cellphone, with a message informing staff of impending tornadoes and to shelter in place if instructed.  Tornadoes??  What tornadoes?  I immediately turned on the TV and yep, all the local news channels were broadcasting that severe storms and tornadoes were going to be arriving into the DC area in short time.

The situation was described as a train of storms making their way from south to north.  A severe storm/tornado watch had been issued until 9pm at night.  Not good since my flight to Heathrow was scheduled to depart at 9:05pm!!

It soon started to rain hard off and on but I decided to still go ahead and get to the airport.

SuperShuttle arrived on time and there was only one other passenger to pick up and with more than 4 hours to get to Dulles, I figured all would be okay.  The driver had the radio tuned to a news station and there was no signs that the bad weather was going to let up any time soon.  I kept my fingers crossed.  Traffic on the Beltway was at a crawl but moving.

I made it to Dulles just around 6:30p.  Yay!!  I got in the British Airways check in line and when I got to the counter, the ticket agent asked me for my US passport.  Laissez-passe alone is not enough.  I could've have kicked myself for being so stupid - especially since I had taken my US passport out when I was packing but decided, at the very last minute, to leave it at home.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

The agent did rebook my flight for me so I was good to go today.  I headed back outside and decided to take a cab home instead of the shuttle.  I was in no mood to take the long route home.

When I got home, I ate dinner, watched TV and went to bed.  I also had to book another shuttle ride and email the hotel in Mumbai alerting them that I would be arriving a day later.

For some reason, I didn't sleep well and I woke up exhausted.  As hard as I tried to nap through the day, I simply couldn't.   I was restless all day, bouncing between TV and computer.

Today was also the neighborhood block party which means our street is blocked off to cars. would the shuttle van get to my house??  I called SuperShuttle and asked them to tell the driver to meet me at the nearest street corner and to call my cell phone when he arrived.

About 15 minutes before SuperShuttle was scheduled to arrive, I headed out to the corner.  Of course, all the neighbors were wondering what happened.  I told them it was a long story and that I would tell it to them later - had a shuttle van to catch.

Just as I got to the corner, my cell phone rang.  The automated message said the driver was in front of my house.  I looked back towards my house and I saw the bright blue van sitting at the other end of the block.  I started running and luckily, the driver waited.

Fast forward.  I'm now sitting in a very comfy chair in the British Airways lounge relaxing before my flight. I've been so bone tired and probably a bit anxious, I didn't even realize how hungry I was - hadn't eaten anything since breakfast.  I inhaled a couple of sandwiches and replenished my thirst.  Still tired but tummy is better!  I have a long trip ahead of me.  At this point, I just want to get going!!